That is a difficult question to answer since there are no established ‘safe’ levels of mold, and more importantly, individuals have dramatically different resistances to mold. If you received test results back and have determined that there are potentially harmful health effects associated with the mold, you should consult with your healthcare provider regarding further exposure. The following questions may help you answer that question:

  • How widespread is the contamination? Is it inside a cabinet? Or is it inside a wall cavity, or under the entire carpet pad?
    If it is a small area you can close, seal it off until it can be cleaned properly by a professional. If the contamination is widespread or you do not know the extent of the contamination, you should probably contact a professional in your area for advice.
  • Are any of the occupants particularly susceptible to mold or lung problems, like persons with existing respiratory disorders, the young, the elderly, or the immune suppressed?
    If so, it is recommended to err on the side of caution and discontinue any possible mold exposure to these individuals.
  • Is the mold airborne? Is the mold in an occupied area?
    If you received a lab report back from tape lifts and the types of mold listed have potential health effects associated with it, we recommend contacting a professional in your local area to take air samples for you. A professional must take air samples because specialized equipment is used. Having air samples taken will let you know if the mold you sent in on the tape lifts has contaminated the air. We highly recommend having an exterior/outdoor sample taken at approximately the same time as the interior samples so you will know what is considered normal for your area this time of year.
  • Have you been experiencing any health problems that you think may be due to mold exposure?
Category: Mold